10 Roma tomatoes (2 cups, diced) - we prefer Roma but all varieties will work
Fresh basil leaves (2 bunches, organic)
1 garlic bulb (usually 10-12 cloves)
1/2 red onion, minced
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp of kosher salt (use additional salt as needed, to taste)
Optional topping: grated parmesan
How to cook
- Wash tomatoes with water and pat dry. Core and chop tomatoes. Place diced tomatoes into a strainer (or colander) over a bowl to drain the excess liquid. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of kosher salt and gently stir together. Leave tomatoes to drain for up to 2 hours.
- If serving on grilled bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and remove 2 garlic cloves from the garlic bulb. Place the remaining cloves (usually ~8-10) in a piece of tin foil, drizzle with 1 tsp of olive oil and wrap foil over the garlic so that it is completely covered. Garlic can be roasted as individual cloves or — our preferred method — as a complete garlic bulb. To roast the bulb in its entirety, simply cut off the top quarter inch of the head of garlic (at the pointy end, not the root) to expose the cloves, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Roast garlic for 45–50 minutes, until garlic is golden brown and tender.
- Mince the remaining 2 cloves of garlic, the fresh basil leaves, and half of a red onion. Toss ingredients together in a large bowl. Once tomatoes are thoroughly drained, gently mix all ingredients together and add 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt.
- Toast or grill slices of bread, cut to desired size, and spread oven-roasted garlic on each slice. After roasting the garlic in the oven, the garlic will be soft — similar in texture to hummus — and much more mellow in flavor.
- Top each slice with your tomato mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan flakes and additional salt, if desired. Serve and enjoy.
Tips & tricks
This recipe is best served right away (day-of) as diced tomatoes do not stay firm overnight in the refrigerator. The garlic and red onion can be minced in advance.
Fresh herbs and fresh produce are best for this recipe. If necessary, you can add additional dried basil to the mix to taste but ideally, it will be made with fresh basil.