1 Diata Health vanilla shake
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3/4 tsp guar gum (we like this one)
2 Tbsp unsweetened chocolate cocoa powder (we like this one)
2 Tbsp monkfruit sugar
1 cup frozen zucchini or frozen cauliflower rice
2 cups ice
Pinch of salt
Recommended topping: cacao nibs (we like these)
How to prepare
- To start, blend 1 cup of frozen zucchini (or cauliflower rice) and 2 cups of ice cubes in blender until the ice is crushed and looks like the shaved ice used in snow cones. Using a Ninja Blender, this takes between 5-10 seconds.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients (vanilla Diata shake, guar gum, cocoa powder, monkfruit sugar, and a pinch of salt).
- Add dry ingredients and almond milk to the blender.
- Blend until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth, about 2 minutes. If you continue to blend the mixture, it will continue to change consistencies and will become much more frothy (similar to a mousse) rather than a soft serve ice cream or a Wendy’s frosty texture.
- Scoop into a bowl, sprinkle with cacao nibs, and enjoy!
Tips & tricks
If you want to enjoy an extra smooth version of this treat, swap out 1 cup of veggies for 1 cup of shaved ice. (You didn’t hear it from us!)
Shaved ice is a must! In order to achieve the desired consistency, blend the ice first and then add dry ingredients.
Why the pinch of salt? Salt amplifies all flavor profiles in food, even sweets.
To enjoy a slightly thicker version of this recipe (i.e. a thicker ‘soft serve’ ice cream), add 3/4 of a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of 1 full cup.
As always, we believe in eating a wide variety of food groups and dishes. If you do not eat fiber regularly, we recommend limiting to one per day as the guar gum has 2g of fiber.